- Always order your additional clauses in a consistent sequence. It is a good idea to keep sentences short and simple. The intent of your text must be clear. If your clause is long, consider dividing the clause into sections.
- Review your text. Make sure your meaning is clear. Have someone else review what you wrote to ensure the meaning is apparent. It is not unusual to re-write a sentence or clause several times to ensure that it is simple and clear.
- Draft your clause in basic English. This means language that is simple and conveys ideas with the greatest possible clarity.
- Read your document carefully to ensure that your additional clause is not repeating or contradicting what has already been stated in the document.
- Use numerals, not words, to denote amounts.
- Refer to people and companies by name. If names have been defined by a shorthand identifier within the document, then use that name instead. This is especially true of the parties to the agreement. These are usually identified at the beginning of your contract. Example: the Landlord, the Tenant, the Customer, the Service Provider, etc.
- Emphasise the positive and avoid using multiple negatives in sentences.
- Spell-check your clause.
- Do not use jargon/legalese such as “hereto” and “the said item” and omit any needless words.
- Do not use multiple names or identifiers to refer to the same person or thing. It will appear to the reader that you are introducing new or different objects.
- Do not use terms such as: they, us, we, our, you, me, etc. These terms are ambiguous and confusing.
- Do not use any abbreviations.
- Do not use all capitals.
Some terms that may be included are:
|Legal Jargon||Basic English|
|at the present time||now|
|due to the fact that||because; since|
|during such time as||while|
|for the duration of||during|
|in the event that||if|
|notwithstanding the fact that||although; even if|
|with reference to||about|
A SmartFormz Subscription offers its users full access (24 hours a day/ 7 days a week) to our complete document library. This allows you to create and customize every document listed on our SmartFormz Form page, as many times as you want within one entire year.
This offer was previously available only to our business customers and is now available to everyone. You are not limited to one document or to just one copy of each. After purchasing a subscription, available from the payment page of any document, you will create a login (consists of your email address and password of your choice) that allows you to surf around our system and download documents to your home computer at your own convenience.
A SmartFormz Subscription will save you hundreds of dollars when compared with the fees you might otherwise have to pay to get the same professional documents customized to your individual situation and needs.
To purchase our SmartFormz Subscription:
- Click on the document you wish to buy
- After filling out the questionnaire, click the “Preview of Draft” button
- If you are 100% satisfied with the preview, click “Purchase the Document”
- From the Purchase page, you can select the following:
- One time use (access for 5 days)
- One year unlimited use of the specific document you have chosen
- Corporate Use (access to every document for one entire year)
- Select the corporate use option, fill out the complete form below
- Enjoy unlimited access to our entire library!