Fifty years ago many people had jobs for life. They would get a job straight out of school and stay at the same workplace for years to come because of the lack of choice. However, that is not the case today and more people are changing careers than ever before. Career moves are not uncommon in any walk of life and many people choose a route that is poles apart from their previous careers. However, it is not an easy decision to make so it is important that you consider all of the points below to make sure that you are absolutely certain you are making the right choice:
- Do Your Research – First things first, make sure that you fully research any industry that you are considering going into. It is extremely important that you are fully informed before giving up one career to move into another because doing it on a whim may turn out to be a disaster.
- Do Consider Self Employment – If you are experienced in a certain niche and want a new challenge but do not necessarily want a complete change then look into becoming your own boss. You may be sticking to what you know but working for yourself is an extremely rewarding experience so you may want to go in that direction.
- Do Consider Your Experience – If you have experience in a certain industry then consider it in terms of the career moves you may want to make. You will need transferable skills to stand a chance of making it a success. If the two industries are not that different then previous experience may be an advantage. If not then it might be ore difficult to reconcile and some educational training may be needed before you cross over.
- Assess Your Personal Situation – Can you afford to start from the bottom in another career? Do you have dependents that could suffer if your new career does not go as planned? These are questions you have to consider. Make sure that you can sustain a change for the better or worse just in case!
- Do Not Be Put Off And Ask For Help – Never ever let someone talk you out of your dream career, no matter how different it is. Instead of buying into the negatives of career moves, look at the positives and ask for help or advice if you need it. This will give you a boost when you need it as well as a reality check. As such, you will be able to think clearly and make the right decision.